차상균 교수 (Prof. Sang Kyun Cha)
서울대학교 공과대학 전기 정보공학부
School of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Seoul National University
Email: chask at snu.ac.kr Tel: 82-2-880-7319
Secretary: Ms. Seyeon Kim (Tel: 82-2-874-7812)
- Ph.D. in Database Systems, Stanford University (1991)
- MS & BS in EE, Seoul National University, 1982, 1980)
Areas of Research & Professional Experience (click here for details)
- Enterprise-Scale/Cloud-Scale Massively Parallel Distributed In-Memory Database
- Real-time Enterprise Data Analytics and Planning
- Large-Scale Agile Development of Mission-Critical Software
Recent Professional Activities
- IEEE ICDE 2015 Conf. General Co-Chair
- VLDB 2014 Conf. Industrial Program Committee Member
- VLDB Journal Editor (2009 ~ 2014)
- IEEE ICDE 2013 Industrial PC Co-chair
- VLDB 2011 Demo Program Committee member
- IEEE ICDE Demo Program Committee member (2008, 2012)
- VLDB 2009 Core Database Technology Program Committee member
- ICDE 2009 Research Program Committee member (area: query processing, query optimization, database tuning, and autonomic databases)
- VLDB 2008 Industrial Program Committee member
- VLDB 2006 Industrial Program Committee Co-Chair
- VLDB 2006 Organizer and Moderator of Panel
- “Globalization: Challenges to Database Community” (Participants: C Mohan at IBM India, Vishal Sikka at SAP, Meichun Hsu at HP Lab, Rajeev Rastogi at Bell Lab India, Honesty Young at IBM China Research, Li-Zhu Zhou at Tsinghua Univ.)
- IEEE ICDE 2006 Program Committee Area Vice-Chair in DBMS Internals and Performance
- IEEE ICDE 2005 Organizer and Moderator of Panel
- DASFAA 2003 PC Co-Chair (with Prof. Mastoshi Yoshigawa in Japan)
- SAP HANA – My third generation in-memory database engine (SAP HANA – Wikipedia, Article (Korean))
- Founded Transact In Memory, Inc. in Silicon Valley in 2002 (also its wholly-owned subsudiary TIM System in Korea in 2000) to fund the development of the next-generation in-memory DBMS (known as P*TIME) and has led it to the successful acquisition by SAP (the #1 global business software company) in 2005. SAP transformed TIM System to SAP Labs Korea and made an official announcement in March 2008.
- P*TIME implemented numerous unique (thus patented) architectural features: parallel differential logging and recovery (published in ICDE 2001), cache-conscious index structures (like one published in SIGMOD 2001), cache-conscious index concurrency control with optimistic latch-free index traversal (published in VLDB 2001), and a memory-centric MVCC (multi-version concurrency control).
- Led the development of the first-generation in-memory database storage engine based on the conventional architecture in 1990′s . With partial indirect funding from the Korean government for development, this engine was delivered to a government research institute in early 1997, and has become the basis of a commercial in-memory DBMS, which now has numerous deployments in Korea, especially, in telecom and financial services.
Dr. Sang Kyun Cha has been a professor at Seoul National University in School of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science since February 1992.
In 2000, he founded Transact In Memory, Inc. (TIM) in Korea to fund the next-generation In-Memory Database engine development and in 2002 moved its headquarter to Silicon Valley. In November 2005, TIM was acquired by SAP and its Korean entity was transformed to SAP Labs Korea. By SAP’s request, he continues to lead SAP Labs Korea and contributes to SAP’s HANA In-Memory DB development.
He received his Ph.D. in database systems at Stanford University in 1991 with Gio Wiederhold. Before joining the university, he experienced working at various global IT companies: Computer Science Center of Texas Instruments, Inc. (in 1985), IBM Palo Alto Scientific Center (as a consultant in 1990-1991) and HP Laboratories, Palo Alto (an in-memory personal data management project, from 1991 to 1992).
From August 2001 to August 2002, he visited the database research group in Computer Science Department of Stanford University and was responsible for organizing CS545 InfoSeminar course.
In March 2012, he was elected as an external director on the board of KT (Korea Telecom).
Technology Lifecycle & Innovation Opportunities (view slide)
- BIG 2014 keynote “In-Memory Real-Time Big Data Processing: What It Takes to Innovate and Change Industry”
- 미래 공학 꿈나무를 위한 인터뷰 (Interview for Future Imagineers of Korea) (동영상)
- In-Memory Real-Time Big Data Managment: Dream Comes True!, 홍콩 과기대 Big Data Symposium 초청 강연 (September 2013)
- “관악에서 실리콘 밸리까지: Bringing Distruptive Innovation to Global Market”, 서울대 전기전자 세미나 (2010.10.14)
- 전기공학부 발전 기금 기념식(April 2010)
- 일양 고명삼홀 개홀 사진 (Opening Prof. Emeritus Ko, Myoung Sam Hall at ARSI)
- Group Retreat to Heidelberg (Germany) and Wengen (Switzerland). (August 2005)
- Nepanthe at Big Sur, Califonia, USA : where this picture is taken
- San Jose Mercury News : The newspaper covering Silicon Valley and high-tech issues
- Stanford InfoLab Seminar: The 20-year-long Stanford seminar series on database research and technology. I organized this seminar during the Fall and Spring quarters of the 2001-2002 academic year.
- Palo Alto Online : The web site for finding restaurants and interesting things in Palo Alto, CA